Before You Come
This page provides important information before you go to Qingdao Mountain Lao International Shaolin Martial Arts Academy to learn kung fu on matters of enrollment, visas, pre departure guidance, food, accommodation, academy facilities and certificates etc.
1. Object of Enrollment on Qingdao Mountain Lao Kung Fu training
The academy provides instruction to beginner as well as more advanced students who are already proficient in martial arts and seeking additional or higher-level kung fu training.
(1) Students who are healthy in both mentality and physical situation and love martial arts, regardless of your gender, age, religion, country, are all welcomed to come here to learn Shaolin kung fu martial arts.
(2) Students who have never studied martial arts before should not expect to perform intermediate or advanced kung fu in one or two months. However, they will be introduced to Shaolin (the basics of Shaolin traditional Chi Kung, two short Shaolin fist forms, one weapon routine, elementary combat and one or two Tai Chi forms). Alternatively, students can choose Wingchun,BaJi, Xingyi, Bagua or Preying Mantis and will learn basics, a routine, one weapon form and Qi Kung. They should be able to grasp Wingchun,BaJi,Shaolin, Xingyi, Bagua or Mantis boxing basic kung fu and decide whether what they have learnt is the right path for them to follow in the future, training for longer periods of time.
(3) Students who have already seriously trained in shaolin kung fu for several years or more can expect to learn and perform some of the more difficult kung fu movements, combat skills, higher internal kung fu as well as developing the underlying morality of the martial arts. We also welcome advanced students wishing to learn through challenging the masters.
(4) Dont worry about age holding you back if you are middle aged or elderly. Many Chinese martial arts are suitable for middle age and old age people to learn, such as Ancient Qi Kung (Ba duan jin, yi jin jing, Five animal style and meditation that is not only good for health, but also helpful for your level of Kung Fu and for healing illnesses), Tai Chi fist / straight sword / fan, Xingyi fist, Bagua palm, Ba Chi fist and mantis boxing. Training schedules and exercises are customized to fit to you, according to your needs and abilities. There is no maximum age to come, but there is a minimum. You have to get an escort if you are not able to travel alone.
(5) Longer kung fu training periods (after you have learnt for 5 years here) are available for those who find they want to advance their skills to higher levels in martial arts. However, the decision is made by the masters as to whether they will extend training periods, according to the students apparent skills, trustworthiness, potential and interest shown.
2. Preparation before You Come to the Qingdao Mountain Lao Shaolin Martial Arts Academy:
(1) Please fill out the application form and pay the application fee according to the website 1-6 months before you come to the academy. We will confirm your information after we get your application and application fee and will make some preparations for your arrival.
(2) on Visa: You can apply for a tourist visa before you come to China. If you need any help extending it, we can help you extend it to more than 10 months when you get to the academy. We can also help you change your visa to a student one if necessary, year by year. However, please be aware that the maximum duration for a stay in this kung fu Academy is five years.
Many students want to get a student visa when they come here, and it is a requirement that you obtain an invitation letter and the JW202 form (when applying for the student visa). Once you apply for your student visa, the academy would help you send out both of these forms. However, it can be difficult for us to get the JW202 and is an extremely lengthy process. In the past, we have also had some problems with people who in the end for what ever reason didnt turn up. Unfortunately, we had already spent a lot of time and money applying for their JW202 forms. Therefore, we strongly suggest that you apply for a tourist visa instead which really is the easiest way. If you need any help applying for your tourist visa, such as with the invitation letter, please let us know and we will fax it to you or send it to you through the post office.
Here are some helpful links:
China Embassy in the U.S. - FAQ
China Embassy in the U.S. - Consulate Locations in the U.S.
China Embassy in UK - http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/
China Embassy in Canada - www.chinaembassycanada.org/eng/lsfw/
China Embassy in Australia -http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/
China Embassy in Mexico - http://www.embajadachina.org.mx/esp/
China Embassy in Germany - http://de.chineseembassy.org/det/
China Embassy in France-http://fr.chineseembassy.org/fra/
China Embassy in New Zealand - http://www.chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/
China Embassy in India - http://www.chinaembassy.org.in/eng/
China Embassy in Switzerland - http://www.china-embassy.ch/eng/
China Embassies - Locations around the world
(3) New students who are saving to come to the academy have asked if there is anything they should do to prepare themselves. The best thing is to prepare yourself physically: proper diet, sprinting and long distance running (2 km a day or so), swimming, cycling, skipping , ping pong, push-ups, sit-ups, etc… stamina training will help new students learn martial arts faster and easier. Any sport or hobby that breaks down muscle tissue so you can rebuild it, stretches and strengthens your muscles, improves your breathing and enjoyable to perform, is good to do.
(4) You can bring with you to the school your sports-like clothes, loose trousers and things you need from home. In classes, the translator will attend and masters here can speak simple English. If you want to go out and do something in your spare time, the translator can also help you with that.
(5) Insurance: We recommend you purchase a major medical insurance policy to pay for a major illness or injury that may be incurred while you are in China.If you decide to attend the academy,you should check the details and cover of your insurance plan in your country.
(6) Traveling to the Academy: Travel to Qingdao Mountain Lao International Shaolin Martial Arts Academy,there are no direct international flights to Qingdao Citys Liu Ting airport. Therefore, you need to first fly to Beijing (the Capital of China) or Shanghai, and then from Beijing you can take a domestic flight (80 minutes; around $100 for economic seats) or take a train (15 hours; around $30) to Qingdao. From Shanghai to Qingdao, the flight will be 80 minutes and around $110 for economic seats. The airport is about 75 km from the academy; we can provide an all-terrain vehicle, driver, and translator as a free pick-up service from Qingdao.
The weather here:
Qingdao is a coastal city, and own four distinctive seasons. March, April and May is our spring season, which the temperature is from 10°C to 25°C , June, July and August season is our summer season , that is from 19°C to 35°C .September ,October and November season is our autumn, the weather is getting cool.It is from 10°C to 28°C .December, January and February is our winter. It is from -8°C below zero to 7°C above zero. And there is a heating system in each room during the winter.
Liu Ting airport or Qingdao train station to the academy.
The train timetable from Beijing to Qingdao
|Train Number||Departs south Beijing||Arrives Qingdao||Duration|
|Flight Number||Departs Beijing||Arrives Qingdao||Duration|
|Flight Number||Departs Shanghai||Arrives Qingdao||Durat, ion|
|SC4664/ CA4664||10:05||11:30||1h 25m|
|CA1961/ ZH1961||18：10||19:25||1h 15m|
3.Food & Accommodation in the academy:
(1)Most of the cooking is Chinese style. In the morning, we have milk, soybean milk, porridge, oats, bread and eggs. For lunch and dinner, we serve Chinese dishes including three dishes with meat, one egg dish, one vegetable dish, fried chips, rice and soup; either egg, seafood or sweet. We also have Chinese dumplings and noodles once a week, and seafood, fried fish and bacon (Chinese style) several times a week. The cook will provide chilies for those who would like some. There are big feasts at festivals when students and masters eat together.If you cant adapt to the Chinese dishes, you can order the food you like for ahead. Note: Vegetarians will be catered for.
4. Academy Facilities:
(1)Power training equipment, a set of fitness equipment, wooden dummies, punching bag, mats, pads, gloves and bodyguards are provided for by the academy. However, you can buy some other kinds of weapons by yourself when you need them in practice.
(2). After students arrival, the long-term students will be issued a monks training suit. The academy provides tableware and bedding, Washing machines and hot shower facilities. Items of personal hygiene and grooming are the students responsibility. On arrival at the academy, the new student will be assigned a translator to make the transition to academy life as smooth as possible.
(3)The academy offers public pay phones and internet for students to keep in contact with family and friends.
5. Certificate for Students:
Those who finish their study at shaolin kung fu academy will be given a normal certificate from the academy. Those who become good at learning shaolin kung fu will be given the level certificate and master certificate authorized from the Chinese martial arts association .
This is the map of China and it shows the location of the academy in China.
*Here is the specific address to the academy in English.
Laoshan Shaolin Kung Fu International College
Qingdao City, Shandong Province, China.
Postal Code: 266600
*For more information, feel free to call the academy between Monday to Friday to talk to one of our staff.